∼ by Chantal Sarkisian
There is no real secret to being a plus-size fashionista. More often than not, the same rules apply for all women. Most women love their summer clothes, but the reality for plus-size women is that summer can bring on major fashion challenges. The constant sticky and sweaty mess is one thing, but not being able to hide behind clothes is another. Common struggles include showing more skin and the fear of baring legs and arms. Feeling comfortable in your skin is part of any fashionista’s journey to self-acceptance. The main goal is to find styling tricks that work for you. If you are looking for inspiration, these 10 plus-size fashion tips should help guide you in creating flawless style this summer.
- Know your body type. Don’t focus on size. Women come in all shapes, length and weight, from plus-size to petite.
- Invest in classic, quality and versatile pieces. A good pair of jeans, a flattering dress or a well fitted blazer will go a long way.
- Get your clothes tailored. When clothes fit well, they look more expensive and make you feel amazing.
- Don’t splurge on trends. Stay stylish with brands that offer temporary and trendy at a bargain price.
- Accessorize to the max with quality jewelry, a fun hat, stylish sunglasses, comfortable shoes and versatile hand bags.
- Find inspiration online, in magazines or even on the streets. Keep track of your favourite outfits and put them on repeat.
- Stick to natural materials that wash easily, like cotton, to help keep you fresh and breezy.
- Put some effort in your hair and makeup. It’s amazing how it can boost your confidence.
- Clean out your closet seasonally and rediscover some old favourites.
- Supportive undergarments are key to looking sleek and supported.
For maximum confidence, women should remember to focus on body shape, and not their size. Know what flatters you most, think of fit and support, stay true to your style, and most importantly…have fun playing in your closet!
Chantal Sarkisian is a seasoned Marketing and Communications creative with expertise in Business, Digital Strategy, and Social Media. Chantal is passionate about her roles as a curvy style blogger and Instagram lifestyle influencer. She loves sharing personal stories and is proud to be an Ottawa locavore, a beauty expert, a foodie, and an advocate for the empowerment and representation of plus-size women in the fashion industry. A completely self-made woman, Chantal’s success on the local fashion and lifestyle scene was not achieved overnight. Taking advantage of her outgoing personality and the power of social media, Chantal effectively uses channels, like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, to engage her audience and build her network both online and in person. You can catch Chantal’s regular Fashion segments on CTV Morning Live (Ottawa), where she chats about the local fashion scene in Ottawa and styles trendy looks for women of all shapes and sizes.
In her not-so-spare time, she juggles being a wife, mom, and avid shopper who thrives on great sales.
Mode XLusive, Ottawa’s favourite curvy fashion blog, is your destination for smart fashion talk, local fashion scene and all things curvy.
Chantal Sarkisian is the Creative Director, Editor (and Model!) who shares fun and practical styling tips, personal experiences, eye-catching ensembles, and a refreshing body-positive attitude suitable for women of all shapes and sizes. Through a creative fashion journal, Mode XLusive, provides women with an authentic (and sometimes funny!) perspective on fashion trends and inspires women to feel better, so they can look better.
XL isn’t about size; it’s a way of life. Mode XLusive motivates women to be their best selves, and ultimately be > life!