Kearns & Co Hair Toronto’s Aveda Global Master, Ana Karzis shares her Top 10 tips for Hair Colour below – thanks for subscribing to What She Said!
Ana’s Top 10 tips for Hair Colour
- When getting Highlights, make sure your hair is clean. The old wives’ tail about coming with dirty hair is false, and will extend your processing time.
- Make sure your newly coloured hair is washed only once, not twice at the salon.
- Wait at least 24 hours before washing your hair after leaving the salon.
- Always use sulphate-free shampoos.
- Never wash hair more than 3 times a week and aim for 2, or even 1. Explore all the new dry shampoo options on the market.
- Make sure your products are professional grade and customized for you. Consult with your stylist.
- If your hair is dehydrated , or “chemically abused” as we call it, then make sure to have the dry ends trimmed off first, before colour.
- Always make sure your stylist applies creme around your hairline, to avoid leaving with a dark band.
- As you get older, your colour should become softer as a general rule. The colour needs to compliment your skin.
- To preserve the richness of hair colour, apply a hair mask once a week. This needn’t be expensive. A small palm full of coconut oil rubbed into the scalp and ends will do the trick. Let it sit for an hour before washing out.